Sunday, June 13, 2010

Remembering our own Rachels

I didn't know that the ship used in the so-called Gaza flotilla was called the Rachel Corrie, named for an American "Peace Activist".

The following Youtube clip was sent to me by a friend; talks about the forgotten Rachels killed by terrorists (yimach shimom u'zichrum). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co2X5LKH5n0


I want us to also remember our first Rachel, Rachel Imanu.

Here Yaacov talks about burying his beloved wife Rachel, in Bereshit:

"I didn't even take her into Beit Lechem itself which was in the land, and I know that you feel badly about this. But know that God told me to do this, so that she will be a help to her children. When Nevuzaradan, the King of Babylonia, will exile them and they will pass by her grave, Rachel will come out and cry, and beg God for mercy. God, in turn, will answer and respond to her: 'There is reward for your actions, so says the Lord, and your children will return to their borders.'" (Rashi, Genesis 48:8)

1 comment:

  1. We knew the first Rachel personally. I used to babysit her when she was a little girl. Terribly tragic.

    ReplyDelete